Question for you…
How often do you take a good hard look at the inner workings of your company to make sure you’re keeping your business current and healthy?
If you’re like most of our clients, this is where you’re probably thinking … “I should do that, shouldn’t I?”
The answer is, yes.
You should be taking a step back (at least on a yearly basis) to look at your business through the eyes of a potential or existing client.
And when I say take a look at your business, I mean EVERYTHING! Put it all under a microscope: The services you’re offering, the copy on your website, the design of your website, the frequency of blog posts, client communication methods, proposal writing, work flow scheduling, follow up, social media, email newsletters, payment processor, bookkeeping and accounting … and the list goes on and on.
It’s easy to get swept up in the day-to-day minutia of running a business, to the point where you’re so busy with tasks you might not even notice things need to be updated or worked on.Take look at your business through the eyes of a potential or existing client.Click To Tweet
But with so much going on, where do you start?
Here are some suggestions for keeping your business current.
- Read your website. Sounds obvious, but when’s the last time you read your website … word for word? How does it sound? Is it outdated? If it is, then make time for a rewrite!
- Check your social media feeds. Same as the above, except this time, read your Tweets and Facebook updates. Are you being repetitive? Perhaps you’re only sharing and Re-Tweeting? Or maybe you’re self-promoting a little too much? Or not enough? Have you told your Facebook fans you’re on Twitter? Are you getting engagement? This exercise should tell you pretty quickly if you if there’s work to do!
- Evaluate productivity. With so many cool productivity apps and platforms out there nowadays, the hardest part is really settling on which ones to try! Sales funnels, team communication, social media scheduling … all of these things can be handled with apps. Where do you find your time’s getting eaten up the most? I bet there’s an app for that!
- Survey your clients. This is a valuable exercise. If you want to know what’s working and what’s not … ask folks! Ask your clients (current and past) to participate in a brief survey to help you do a better job of serving. Be sure to ask for specifics. For instance, if you want to know how well you’re communicating, make that a survey question. Wondering if your payment options are convenient? Ask the question! Do they follow you on social media? Why/why not? Your clients can really be an excellent source of information about how your business is doing!
- Monitor competitors. I’m not suggesting you copy what your competitors are doing, but it’s a good practice to check in on your competition and see what they’re up to every once in a while. You may find you’re doing fine … or you may learn it’s time to step up your game!
Finally, if you’re really interested in keeping your business current, a team like mine can take a look at it from all angles (from the inside out) and help you make sure things run as smoothly as possible.
Also published on Medium.
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Has The Facebook Apocalypse Actually Begun? - January 18, 2018
- Do You Know What To Do In The Wake Of Facebook’s New Algorithm Changes? - January 16, 2018
- Do You Have Conversations With Your Social Media Followers? - January 15, 2018