I’ve always been a fan of using HootSuite. But I have to admit, I find myself using it less and less these days for Facebook updates. The main reason is that oftentimes Facebook updates scheduled on HootSuite will not contain the native Share button once posted, which a pretty big deal since you really want people to share your tweets. But as far as using HootSuite for Twitter goes, it still remains a super-valuable tool and a personal fave. The following is a quickie list of ways to get the “Best Hoot for Your Buck” when using HootSuite to schedule Tweets.
- Don’t repeat the same tweet in the same day, or even the same week if you can help it. It’s very similar to sitting at the table with Uncle Ed and having him retell the same story over and over. The scheduling feature within HootSuite allows you to see your updates in a weekly or monthly snapshot to eliminate “chewing your cabbage twice.”
- Always shorten your links in the link shortening tool in HootSuite. Don’t waste those precious 140 characters on big URLs when it isn’t necessary.
- Keep your Tweets short enough so there’s room for people to retweet them without cutting off half your message. Shoot for creating tweets in the 125 character range.
- The Hashtag is an awesome tracking tool so take the time to create a consistent list of the hashtags you use. Post this list where you and your team can see it. Bonus tip: by adding the hashtag # at the end of your Tweets, your update will automatically populate to your LinkedIn account.
- Best times to Tweet: 1-2:00 P.M. (lunch hour) and weekends. Worst times to Tweet: Friday afternoons (people are leaving, plotting, and dreaming about their weekend plans).
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up ecommerce solutions, membership sites, web design and maintenance, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our bi-weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!