Last week we looked at 5 of the top 10 membership models. To review, we looked at the Publisher, UPS, Micro-Continuity, Modular Course and Protected Download area models, all of which are typically paid memberships. Today we’ll take a look at the other 5 models in the top 10, which are usually not fee-based membership sites, but instead, an added feature or communication tool for your business.
6. Community Center: A community center would simply be a membership site that is driven through a forum such as SimplePress, a WordPress plugin that integrates very nicely with WishList Member. Members pay a monthly fee to join a community, and then communicate through forum discussions. Forums are very popular with many industries, and are often used as optional methods of support for products and websites. Companies like Lavasoft, Infusionsoft, WordPress, and many others have added forums as a level of support to encourage users to share their vast knowledge and experience to troubleshoot and solve technical issues. Associations and organizations often take advantage of forums to encourage interaction among members – to give them that sense of community and comradery.
7. Private Members Area: A private membership site is a membership site that allows members to communicate with each other, download resources and materials, and even interact with each other. This type of membership model can easily be set up for both small and large groups … it doesn’t matter, and has become a very popular trend among the larger, more high-end mastermind groups. It also works well for planning committees, clubs and other similar groups.
8. Coaching Site: Just like the private members area model above, a Coaching site is perfect for coaches or consultants that want to create private member areas for their coaching or consulting clients. In this case, you could set up a separate and secure membership level for each coaching or consulting client where you can communicate privately with them, and where they can download private documents, materials and even the replay of their private coaching calls. You could also have a shared area for group coaching or to provide additional materials that might be available to everyone.
9. Project Management: Again, very similar to the private members area and coaching site. You create a membership level for each type of person in your company or on your team. If you have a graphic designer or webmaster, you might have a graphic designer membership level or a webmaster membership level or one that works for both of them if their duties overlap. You might have a bookkeeper membership level, a VA team membership level … project manager membership level…whatever you need. The project management module allows you to disseminate information and files easily to the system, yet easily restrict or allow access to the information on a case by case basis.
10. Combo: Typically a little more complicated to set up, the combo model is a combination of 1 or more of the different types of membership models mentioned above. You might have a modular course or a coaching site with a community center; and then add a protected download area for a modular course to purchase resources that are mentioned or referred to throughout the course. An association might use a combination of the publisher model, a community center and the protected download area. There are many different and creative ways to combine the different membership models.
The models I’ve outlined above are simply the most common types of membership sites, but you are certainly not limited to the 10 I’ve discussed. In fact, it is very exciting to see the many different and unique models people are finding to incorporate a membership site into their business. Can you think of any other exciting ways to incorporate a membership site into your business? If you do, let me know … I’d love to hear about it!
About the Author
Terry L. Green, Certified Wishlist Developer, is the President of BizEase Support Solutions, and with a team of qualified online support specialists she provides seamless online marketing implementation, technology and administrative support solutions to speakers and business coaches worldwide. Visit http://www.bizeasesupport.com to find out how partnering with BizEase can help you grow your business, have more time, and make more money. Article is free to be reprinted as long as bio remains intact.
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Have You Seen The Latest Facebook Changes And Updates? - September 21, 2017
- Client Avatars and Why They Are Important - September 19, 2017
- My Top 3 Online Marketing Tools! - September 14, 2017