By Karen Susman
1. Put on your humor lenses so you are on the lookout for funny, amusing situations. They are all around you.
2. Keep track of funny events, stories and thoughts. Look at advertisements and products. How about Old Fashioned Microwave Popcorn.
3. Collect funny headlines and newspaper stories.
4. When something bad happens to you, look for the humorous, absurd twist.
5. Record your funny stories about your vacations, family, car, the weather, aging, and other topics that everyone can relate to.
6. If you’re speaking for an association or group that has an acronym, make up a new, funny meaning for the acronym. For instance, the IRS could stand for the Income Recycling Service.
7. Make an acronym out of a real word. For instance, SNACK stands for Some Nachos and Cholesterol Kick.
8. Use K or hard C words. They’re funny for some reason. A Buick is funnier than an Oldsmobile for no reason other than the “k” at the end of Buick.
9. Twist titles of popular books such as Chicken Soup for the Vegan Soul or 7 Habits of Highly Successful Bloggers. Do the same with popular movie titles.
10. Use brand names that are funny instead of just saying a product. For instance, Red Bull is funnier than energy drink.
11. Odd numbers are funnier than even numbers.
12. Don’t poke fun at others. Poke fun at yourself.
13. Don’t try to be someone else. If your humor doesn’t fit your personality, your audience and you will be uncomfortable.
Karen Susman, Speaker/Author/Coach, works with organizations and individuals that want to maximize their performance and quality of life. Check out her free tips and articles at www.karensusman.com. Karen can be reached at 1-888-678-8818 or [email protected].
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!