Not getting much engagement on social media? Perhaps it’s because you are not following the 80/20 Rule of Social Sharing.
This “rule” was created to be used as a barometer of sorts to help entrepreneurs and business owners create a recipe for successful sharing on social media. The 80/20 refers to how the information being shared on a business’ social network channel should be broken down. The 20 is for the 20% of the time business owners should share company-specific promotional-type updates with their followers, fans or connections. The 80 refers to the other 80% of the time when they should be sharing content from other sources, yet content that is still relevant to their industry or business. In simpler terms; 80% of posts should be value added, with the remaining 20% being business or promotion related.
Social media can’t just be all about you, or people will stop listening and even disconnect. If all of your time on social media is spent spewing out an endless stream of deals, sales, website info, upcoming events, products or services, your business will quickly be tuned out. By sharing an 80/20 mix of relevant information readers will appreciate, along with a smattering of company info, what you are sharing will not only have more value, it will be less off-putting to those connected to your business via your social media accounts.
The other types of content that can be consistently shared can be comprised of inspiring quotes, information about thought leaders, information that speaks to the pain of your target market, useful tips relevant to your niche, community related information, vendor info or just plain fun content your audience will enjoy seeing on their Twitter streams or in their news feeds. Even less “salesy” information about your business that allows your audience to know your company’s culture is acceptable. Updates from this category can include company blog posts, photos of your employees volunteering within the community or an upcoming business milestone.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Social sharing is a two-way conversation, not one-sided where everyone listens to only you.” quote=”Social sharing is a two-way conversation, not one-sided where everyone listens to only you”]
Many businesses mistakenly fall into the trap of sharing nothing but their own information on social media which defeats the social part of social sharing. Social sharing is a two-way conversation stream, not a one-sided discussion where everyone listens to you, and only you. By offering up an 80/20 mix, you will be working to build a relationship with potential clients first, which then enables the selling piece to follow.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!