By Mari Smith
Which is better: a Facebook Page or a Facebook Group? This is a question I get asked regularly and my short answer is you need BOTH a Group and at least one Page. Each serves different purposes:
- Special interests, causes, masterminds, study groups, beta testers, book reader groups (e.g. long before you publish your book, you could build up a tribe of people interested in your subject, give them sample chapters, get feedback on the content and cover, request testimonials, etc).
- You can message ALL group members – up to 5000 members – and your message lands right in their inbox.
- All group activities go out into the feeds: wall posts, posted items, discussion threads, photos uploaded, and videos uploaded. This provides tremendous viral visibility, as I call it.
- Groups tend to be more informal and based around interests, so you can create better “stickiness” (members keep coming back) especially with regular email messages
- Anyone can start a Facebook group around any topic.
- You can take advantage of any of the three different types of Groups for different purposes: Open, Closed, and Secret.
- Groups are great ways to segment Facebook members and find your target demographic to expand your network.
- Once you reach the 5000 emailing threshold, you’ll no longer be able to message everyone in your group.
- There’s minimal customization in groups and you can’t add apps.
- If you no longer want your group to be live, it can be tricky to delete.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up ecommerce solutions, membership sites, web design and maintenance, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our bi-weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!