By Shep Hykin
The Cult of the Customer comes from five very distinct phases, or cults, that companies operate in. Do any of these describe you and/or your company?
1. The Cult of Uncertainty – This is where most companies are working from. In the worst situation, the customer has no confidence as the experiences are unpredictable. Not to beat up on the airlines, but how confident can one be that a flight will be on time when the airline arrives on time only 75% of the time?
2. The Cult of Alignment – This is where the company has created a brand promise, or mantra, that lets employees and customers know what to expect. For example, Outback Steakhouse had a brand promise that was “Great Food, No Rules!”
3. The Cult of Experience – Even with a great brand promise, the customer may not have
confidence until that promise is experienced, sometimes numerous times.
4. The Cult of Ownership – Once the customer experiences the promise, and it is predictable,
the customer owns it. This is a powerful place to be.
5. The Cult of Amazement – This is the ultimate Cult. When the experience is predictable and
is consistently better than average, the company has risen beyond satisfactory. People may
think that “amazement” means a WOW experience. Yet it is simpler than that. It is confidence
in a consistently above average experience that puts companies into this Cult.
It is in the Cult of Amazement where customer loyalty really begins. Understanding the five
Cults, and where you and your company fit in, is the beginning of creating Amazement, which
leads to loyalty and eventually evangelism; when your customers are more than just loyal.
It’s when they rave about you to their friends and associates.
Which Cult are you in?
Here is your homework assignment. Find out more about these five Cults, and where you and
your company fits in by going to www.CultOfTheCustomer.com/forms and download (at no
cost) a checklist. Before you can know where you are going, you have to know where you
Shep Hyken, CSP is a professional speaker and author who works with companies who want
to develop loyal relationships with their customers and employees. For more information on
Shep’s speaking presentations, including his customer service speaking programs, books, tapes
and learning programs please contact (314) 692-2200. Email: [email protected] Web: www.
Copyright ©2009 by Shep Hyken, CSP, CPAE and Shepard Presentations, LLC
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!