by Joan Phelps
Begin to work on your book’s marketing plan a full year before its publication. Here are some general timeline guidelines for completing the various marketing steps:
6-7 months before publication
- Hire a cover designer
4-6 months before publication:
- Submit book information to R.R. Bowker online at http://www.bowker.com
4 months before publication:
- Write back cover copy, sales/tip sheet, and submit information to trade catalog.
- Submit information to book clubs and contact periodicals for sale of first serial rights.
- Send galleys or advance review copies to prepublication reviewers and bookstores (for author signings).
3 months before publication:
- Complete any prepublication offers for customers through website, etc.
2 months before publication:
- Send galleys to catalogs, newspapers, magazines, etc.
6 weeks before publication:
- Prepare press kits, consult with printer about date when books will be shipped.
2-3 weeks before publication:
- Send out press kits and information for author interviews with media and bookstores.
- Send out review copies to entities other than prepublication reviewers.
10 days before publication:
- Follow-up with phone calls or emails to all.
© 2005 Joan E. Phelps. All Rights Reserved.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!