by Joan Phelps
Begin to work on your book’s marketing plan a full year before its publication. Here are some general timeline guidelines for completing the various marketing steps:
6-7 months before publication
- Hire a cover designer
4-6 months before publication:
- Submit book information to R.R. Bowker online at http://www.bowker.com
4 months before publication:
- Write back cover copy, sales/tip sheet, and submit information to trade catalog.
- Submit information to book clubs and contact periodicals for sale of first serial rights.
- Send galleys or advance review copies to prepublication reviewers and bookstores (for author signings).
3 months before publication:
- Complete any prepublication offers for customers through website, etc.
2 months before publication:
- Send galleys to catalogs, newspapers, magazines, etc.
6 weeks before publication:
- Prepare press kits, consult with printer about date when books will be shipped.
2-3 weeks before publication:
- Send out press kits and information for author interviews with media and bookstores.
- Send out review copies to entities other than prepublication reviewers.
10 days before publication:
- Follow-up with phone calls or emails to all.
© 2005 Joan E. Phelps. All Rights Reserved.