Location, Location, Location: 41 Places to Network
by Karen Susman©
Networking conjures up a picture of networking events where hundreds of people who appear to know each other gather to pass out and collect stacks of business cards. If you limit your networking to networking events, you are limiting your opportunities. Instead, network all the time everywhere.
Make networking everywhere with anyone easier by finding the common ground you share with other people. Start with your location. If you’re at a football game, you have something in common with every other person in the stands. If you’ve always wanted to meet a particular author, attend her book signing. You’ll also have an immediate commonality with those sitting on your right and left. When you literally share common ground with someone, you’re on your way to networking success.
A few places to network.
- Conventions. Network at conventions other than the one you’re attending.
- Conferences where people attend that you’d like to meet
- Trade Shows
- Planes, Trains, Buses
- Seminars and workshops
- Coffee shops
- Children’s Birthday Parties
- Alumni groups
- Your high school classmates
- Your spouse’s professional functions
- The theater
- A concert
- Neighborhood block parties
- Church or synagogue
- Charity events
- Committee meetings of large organizations
- Waiting in line
- The restroom (Women are pros at this.)
- Gas station
- Car dealerships
- Ski lift
- Service clubs
- Hobby activities
- Sporting events
- Checking in to a hotel
- Conference field trips
- Waiting rooms
- Airports and train stations
- Political campaigns
Use good judgment, of course. Location commonality is the answer to the questions, “What do we talk about?” and “How do I get a conversation started?”
Begin with where you are and the event(s) going on around you. Get started networking all the time everywhere.
Karen Susman, Speaker/Author/Coach, works with organizations and individuals that want to maximize their performance and quality of life. Check out her free tips and articles at www.karensusman.com. Karen can be reached at 1-888-678-8818 or [email protected].
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Are Your 2017 Goals In The Bag Or Still Up In The Air? - December 12, 2017
- How To Spread The Wealth Of Your Content! - December 11, 2017
- What The Heck Happened To My Facebook Group Cover? - December 7, 2017