Do you have a hard time reading for more than 40 minutes at a time all of a sudden? You’re not alone! Do you get bored four minutes into a YouTube video? So do most other people. Find yourself scrolling down to get to the point of almost every web page you visit? Join the club!
As much as we might like to pretend video marketing is not taking over the world of Internet marketing … well … it is. And, as social media continues to grow more and become more popular, our attention spans get shorter and shorter.
Folks still love content, but they want it on their terms. And they don’t want a lot, all at once.
A couple of years ago, I would have told you the best way to increase your reach is to share photos! People love photos! And while sharing photos is still a great way to increase your reach, things have changed and will continue to change, with ever-evolving technology.
Today, the absolute best way to engage with your audience is by video. And, keeping today’s ever decreasing attention spans in mind, we need short video.
Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram all now offer the option to go live. My how times have changed!
Live broadcasting allows you to engage with your followers in real time. A few of the different times you might choose to use the live video option would be:
- If you’re at an event and want to share something a speaker is saying
- When you’re unveiling a new book or product and want to show it off
- Any time you want to give a behind the scenes look at something and maybe do a Q&A
- When you want to give quick tips or discuss a hot topic
- If you’re a giraffe waiting to give birth (Awww, who doesn’t remember April and her beautiful new baby!)
Live broadcast is great for these and other reasons, but a lot of folks shy away from this because, well, live video can be nerve-wracking. You’re not sure how to prepare, you don’t know what types of questions will be asked, you can’t go back and edit things. All things that can all cause anxiety.
I have to say from experience that it DOES get better, and can actually become enjoyable. However, If you’re in the “no live video for me thanks” camp, there are still some great ways you can use short video for marketing your business.[clickToTweet tweet=”Live or pre-recorded, short video is great for marketing!” quote=”Live or pre-recorded, short video is great for marketing!”]
Ways to use pre-recorded short video for marketing
Here are some ideas to start. But as you think about it more, you’ll probably find yourself inspired and come up with a few more of your own:
- A sharpie and a pad of post-it notes are a great way to create a video if you’re camera shy! Remember what Bob Dylan did with his classic Subterranean Homesick Blues video? You can do something like that without even using your face if you don’t want to! We see this replicated in one way or another on viral social media ideas all the time.
- Do you love your cup of coffee in the morning? Share a 10 second video of the pot percolating or you taking your first sip out of your favorite cup!
- Share what your desk looks like on a Monday morning, and then do the same video on Friday afternoon to show the difference.
- If you’re working on a book or a new product, do a video of your brainstorming process or choosing from different cover options.
- Create a screencast showing your audience how to do something!
- Do a mini webinar for free as a teaser for an upcoming event.
- Record your children or grandchildren playing with your office equipment.
If you want to get a little braver, you can always do quickie video clips of you answering frequently asked questions, then add them to an FAQ page on your website.
There are so many things you can do with short video! Time lapse. Stop motion. Get in there and play. Have fun with it. Once you start experimenting, you’ll gain more confidence and discover more and more ways to share video. You’ll find your groove and never look back.
No production team necessary!
If you have a smartphone, you have a video camera right in the palm of your hand. There are a slew of apps that can make your videos beautiful, too. If you’re just getting started, I recommend sticking with Instagram. It has all the tools you need right in one app, for photo and video sharing. I’m all about a one-stop shop!
Do you have any tips to share about using short video for marketing a business? Please share!
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up ecommerce solutions, membership sites, web design and maintenance, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our bi-weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!