Hey, y’all … is anyone else out there feeling a little tired this summer?
I realize this is way off my typical business topics; but it’s about self-care, a topic that is vital to the health and welfare of every business owner! The fact is, however, many of us don’t have any problems taking care of our clients or team, but when it comes to self-care, sometimes we entrepreneurs simply don’t take the time we need. It’s easy to find yourself working late into the night, sipping caffeinated beverages and snacking on chips and dip. But is that the healthiest way to be living your life?
Short answer: no.
When we’re at optimal health, we can do our best work. Sure, we all have our guilty pleasures. (*Raises hand* Popcorn and beer!) But I believe, as small business owners, we should be making our health a priority so much more often than we do.
Here are some ways I try to improve my health and add a little self-care on a daily basis. I’m sharing with you because maybe you’ll benefit from these tips, too.
- Drink water. Stay hydrated. Water is so important, especially during the hot summer months. Our bodies run on water, so drink up. How do you make sure you’re drinking enough water? Many sources say you should have 8, 8 oz. glasses of water per day. An article on WebMD says you should try to drink your body weight, in 1/2 ounce increments each day. So half an ounce of fluid per pound of body weight. Daily. How do you get there? Try this trick. Every morning, fill a pitcher with all the water you need for the day, and make a deal with yourself that you can’t finish working for the day until it’s gone.
- Snack well. It’s hard to make time to eat properly when you’re busy, and snacks can often become the mainstay. But are you eating the healthiest foods you can? Try to swap unhealthy snacks for healthier ones. They’re better for you, yes; but fruits and veggies will also give you the energy you need to get through those hectic days. Apples and peanut butter is a very yummy snack with protein, fiber, and minerals. Try chopping veggies ahead of time so they’re available in the fridge for quick healthy snacks. Crackers and cheese. Frozen grapes. There are many yummy snack options out there; so no excuses for skipping meals! As small business owners, we should make our health a priority so much more often than we do.Click To Tweet
- Practice better posture. Sitting at a computer day in and day out is not the best thing for your spine (shocker!). If you spend a lot of time each day at your computer, you should consider performing an ergonomics assessment on your workspace. One of our team members just had to take a few days away from the computer because she had a spinal injury due to poor computer posture! Are your monitor and keyboard at heights that prevent your spine from being compromised? Take a look at your set-up and see if you can make some improvements to ensure you aren’t going harm to your body!
- Take breaks. Get up and stretch every now and then. Watch TV for ten minutes. Take a walk. Just get up and move!
- Exercise. I don’t have to tell you about the benefits of exercise. Do I? Exercise is great for your overall health (including your mental and cardiovascular wellness!) Try taking a few minutes every day to do something physical. Maybe it’s a morning swim or an evening walk. Maybe a yoga class, or twenty minutes on the spin bike. Heck … if you’re like me, all you have time for is getting up and walking in place every hour in an effort to get those 10-12K steps in. (Gotta love those Fitbits!) I don’t care how you do it. Just try to do something physical in the run of your day. You’ll be happier and feel better!
It’s easy to put ourselves last, when we’re doing so much for so many others. But if we end up unwell, then where will we be? And where will all of the others we’ve been taking care of be?
Can you think of any other ways you incorporate self-care into your day to add to this list of wellness tips for busy business owners?
Also published on Medium.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!