by Alicia M Forest, MBA
Multiple Streams Queen & Coach
Just like writing a sales page for your product, program or service, writing successful email promotions can be easier than you think. There’s a science to it, more than an art, and to get you started, I’d like to share a tested formula for you to follow.
Taking the time to consider and answer the questions below before you write your email promotion will make it easier to write, easier for your reader to engage with, and easier to turn your prospect into a buyer.
Here are 5 essential elements to writing email promotions that will increase your sales:
1. Who’s your audience?
It’s important to know exactly who your audience is before you start writing the copy for your email promotion. Obviously, you’ll be sending your promotion to your list. But will it be for your entire ezine subscribers list? Or are you making an offer only to the people on your list who have bought from you before, your customers? Or are you targeting your one-on-one clients only?
Getting really specific about who you are writing your email promotion to will allow you to make it as personal as possible, and the more personal you can make it, the more sales you’ll make.
2. What action do you want to your reader to take?
Decide what it is exactly that you want your reader to do. Is it to subscribe to your ezine? Is it to join one of your group programs? Do you want them to invest in a new product or take advantage of a sale you’re having on an established product?
Choose only ONE thing for your reader to do (remember, ‘a confused mind always says no’) and they are much more likely to do it!
3. What benefits will your reader get?
If your reader purchases your product, how will they benefit? If someone subscribes to your ezine, what will they get out of it? If a reader signs up to work with you one-on-one, how will that make things better, easier, more fun or whatever it is that you can do for them?
Make the benefits your reader gets crystal clear in your email promotions. If you have more than one, use bullets to make them easier to read and digest, and lead the reader smoothly to your call to action.
4. What’s your ‘take action now’ lever?
For each promotion you do, you want to choose and use a tactic for getting people to take action. We’re all procrastinators, so you want to strongly encourage your reader to take action right away.
Some tactics you can use are to offer a limited availability, a limited time, limit spots, special price, free shipping for a limited time, etc.
5. What’s your format?
Couple of notes on the format of your email promotions:
- Testing shows that HTML emails with bullets tend to generate higher response rates, as long as they are between 1-2 pages.
- Make sure your call to action (‘Buy Now’, ‘Visit This Page for More Info’, ‘Order Today’) is near the end of your email promotion, after your list of benefits and your ‘take action’ lever.
- Include contact information at the bottom of your email promotions, with an email address and/or phone number for people who have questions.
- Don’t forget your unsubscribe information as well, to comply with CAN-SPAM laws.
- Include a PS, which is the second most read part of any sales copy. One effective use of a PS is to ask for the order again, including the link.
Use these 5 elements as a framework for your next email promotion and track your conversion rates. You should see more results and make more sales by doing so!
Want to know how to write sales copy that sells every time, even if you think you’re not a writer? I can help! Go here for more…
© 2008 Alicia M Forest and ClientAbundance.com
Alicia M Forest, MBA, Multiple Streams Queen & Coach(TM) teaches self-employed professionals how to attract more clients, create profit-making products and services, make more sales, and ultimately live the life they desire and deserve. For FREE tips on how to create wild abundance in your business, visit www.ClientAbundance.com
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Make it easy to share your newsletter on Social Media … - February 22, 2018
- 8 Video Marketing Strategies For A Successful 2018 - February 20, 2018
- Just How Effectively Are You Promoting Your Content? - February 19, 2018