How to Give a Great Interview©
By Karen Susman
You may think you’ll never be interviewed by the press, but don’t count on it. Besides, being interviewed is an opportunity. It’s an opportunity for positive exposure. It’s an opportunity to get your message out. It’s an opportunity to be a resource for the press and public.
While you want to be sure of your message, facts, what you know and what you don’t, being interviewed is not just about content. It’s about likeability, credibility, being well spoken and human.
A few tips to help you structure your responses:
1. Deliver your message early in the interview and emphasize it often. Obviously, you have to know what your message is first. What is that one thing you want to be sure comes across? Determine your message before you face the interviewer.
2. Know what you want to say and how you want to say it. Know the content of your sound byte. One client whose company sold classy faux jewelry wanted people to know they could have a $20,000 experience for $200.
3. Practice saying your message in several different ways.
4. Brainstorm all the possible questions you could be asked and all the possible answers.
5. Practice being interviewed. Video tape yourself and review.
6. Review a tape of your actual interview. Evaluate your “performance.” Are you confident, authoritative, engaging, sincere, credible and competent? Are you defensive, arrogant, uninformed, confused, strident or stiff? Did you maintain eye contact with the interviewer? What is the quality of your voice? These are just a few questions to ask yourself about your interview.
Pretend nothing is off the record and that the mike will always be on. In other words, don’t say or do anything that you wouldn’t want to see in the paper. If you goof up, remember that today’s news is tomorrow’s fish wrap. Live (rhymes with “hive”) and learn.
For a copy of an interview evaluation, e-mail Karen at [email protected] or call 1-888-678-8818.
Karen Susman, Speaker/Author/Coach, works with organizations and individuals that want to maximize their performance and quality of life. Check out her free tips and articles at www.karensusman.com. Karen can be reached at 1-888-678-8818 or [email protected].
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- What The Heck Happened To My Facebook Group Cover? - December 7, 2017
- 10 Self-Care Tips To Help You Enjoy And Get More Out Of The Holidays - December 5, 2017
- How To Up The Volume On Your Marketing Message! - December 4, 2017