The lazy, hazy days of summer are over for most school-aged children across North America as the kids return to class. If you’re an entrepreneur working from home, to say that endless days with the children at home are challenging to your productivity, is an understatement. (I’ve been there, I know!)
You may have approached the summer in any number of ways:
- Lounging around with your family
- Working when the children allowed, providing snacks as required
- Dragging Chauffeuring children to sporting events and camps
- Working from a house filled with bored children, apologizing for having to work
No matter how much you adore your children, there is much to be said for structure, and routine, and working (mostly uninterrupted) in a quiet house for six hours out of the day.
But, with things in flux for so many weeks, it can be tough to get your productivity back and get into a consistent workday routine when everyone finally gets out of your house back to school.Now that school's back in session, it's time to get back on track with business.Click To Tweet
The following tips will help you to get back into the work groove, while everyone else hits the books.
- Treat yourself to some new office supplies/gear. This might sound silly, but new office supplies are very motivating (probably something to do with the association of new supplies and the excitement of a new school year). If you’ve done the back-to-school shopping for the kids, do it for yourself now. Bonus: you get the benefit of claiming this as a business expense! Need a new laptop or phone? Splurge. If not, try some exciting productivity apps, a great new agenda, some post-it pads, pens, thick new note pads … whatever will help you to get back into the business of … well … business. Make that investment and see if it helps bring you back to earth when the others get back to school.
- Create a schedule. Make a big master list of what your life looks like in a given week, and account for all the time you have available to work. This exercise will help you maximize that time. How much time do you need to get the kids ready for school, for packing lunches, shopping for groceries, and helping with homework? Write down an actual list of everything on your plate to do for everyone else, and then see what’s left for working. Hold on to the remaining time dearly, and maximize every single minute.
- Hire help. Did that last point scare you? Then this is an excellent time to hire a team of marketers (hint hint) to make all parts of your business are humming along while you do the work only you can do!
Being in business for yourself is challenging, and when you add children to the equation, that challenge factor increases exponentially. Hats off to you! If your kids are back in class, this is the time to make your days about you again. And to get even more productivity out of those days, consider outsourcing the marketing stuff. Because, you deserve a bit of a break, too.
Also published on Medium.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!