By Karen Susman
DELEGATE = ENTRUST
Pick the most junior person who can do the job.
- DEFINE the project: purpose, importance deadlines and scope of responsibility. What priority does this task have? What would great work/results look like?
- SUPPORT: Describe what kind of support you can provide and ask what support will be needed.
- AUTHORITY: Define what degree of authority and autonomy the delegatee will have. Is it, “Look into this, gather information and report to me so I can make a decision.” Or, is it “Take care of it and let me know when you’ve handled it?”
- ASK YOURSELF: Is there enough budget, people power, materials, resources, training and/or time for the delegatee to do the job?
- DELEGATE FOR RESULTS: Set standards of performance for results, not methods (where possible). Monitor. Give feedback.
- GIVE CREDIT.
* End reverse delegation. Ask for solutions to problems. Encourage decision making and brainstorming.
* Support a climate where people can be different and/or goof up.
* Delegation means you are still responsible.
* Assign tasks by requesting instead of ordering.
* Remember: Define – Prioritize – Support – Give Authority – Monitor – Praise
Karen Susman, Speaker/Author/Coach, works with organizations and individuals that want to maximize their performance and quality of life. Check out her free tips and articles at www.karensusman.com. Karen can be reached at 1-888-678-8818 or [email protected]
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!