You’ve probably heard of the recent change Facebook made to the way it handles link previews. Effective July 18, 2017, Facebook no longer allows custom link previews. Now for some of you, this might be old news, and you’ve taken steps to assure your content continues to look great when shared on Facebook. If your content looks funky or not quite the way it use to, this change is the reason.
What does that mean????
It means if your Open Graph (OG) meta data isn’t configured correctly on your website, images and titles and descriptions won’t pull in properly, and people may be less likely to share your content.
How can I fix this????
I could share a lot of technical mumbo jumbo to explain it all, but there are a couple of things you can do to ensure your Open Graph data is configured properly.
- Use the Yoast SEO plugin (the free verion is sufficient) and make sure it is set up properly with the Open Graph section enabled. That will take care of the title and description if you fill in the proper info in the Yoast section of each blog post. It’s also a great SEO tool in general.
- If you want to make sure the image YOU want shared is the one Google pulls in (instead of a random image Google finds on the page), use the Social Warfare plugin ($29 per year) so you can specify which images you want Google to grab. Plus you’ll get aweseome sharing buttons and a build-in Click-to-Tweet feature! This is one of the reasons the developers created the Social Warefare plugin!
If you want to know how your images and titles and descriptions are being rendered in Facebook and whether or not your open graph settings are enabled, simply use the Facebook testing tool to see what your posts look like.
The image above is how your post should look when shared on Facebook. A nice big fat image of your choosing, the correct title of your post and the description you want.
Still have questions or need help with either of the two plugins I’ve mentioned? Just contact us, and we’ll do our best to get you straightened out.
Also published on Medium.
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Make it easy to share your newsletter on Social Media … - February 22, 2018
- 8 Video Marketing Strategies For A Successful 2018 - February 20, 2018
- Just How Effectively Are You Promoting Your Content? - February 19, 2018