“It’s a funny thing about life – if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it!” –W. Somerset Maughan
Ask several successful people how they became successful and you will learn of some common traits:
- Self-awareness: They know themselves. They know their values and goals, and are comfortable with the choices they’ve made in life. They admit some regrets and mistakes, but they have made peace with the past and are eager, confident and optimistic about the future.
- Specific Goals: They have written short-term and long-term goals, ranging from 30-day objectives to 10-year projects. They have family or personal goals that are just as detailed as their professional objectives.
- Powerful Networks: They acknowledge their network of friends and colleagues. Each one gives credit to a mentor or friend who taught them, opened doors, or gave them a chance when they needed it. They are profoundly grateful and appreciate that success is the result of partnering with many people over many years.
- Idealism: They all wanted to pursue a dream and achieve goals, while helping others or making a positive difference. They were motivated by a desire for accomplishment and to contribute to society.
- Intense Pragmatism: Balanced with their idealism, highly successful people are extremely practical. They are solution-focused, and use technology, information and skills to reach their most important goals. They are not interested in theories, or in defending past choices or old traditions. They use current, practical tools to help them reach their goals.
- Extraordinary Curiosity: They observe different cultures, read newspapers and career journals, continuously learn about their industries, and strive to continue improving their skills.
- Personal Discipline: They don’t waste time, and don’t lie to themselves. They don’t exaggerate or minimize, and they don’t generalize. They are highly focused on the goal and discipline themselves to follow their action plan for achieving that goal. They follow a plan that consistently creates persistent, high levels of success.
James Malinchak is one of “America’s Most Requested Motivational Speakers!” He is the author of 10 top-selling success and motivational books and a contributing author to the #1 Best-selling book series, Chicken Soup for the Soul®. To contact James for a speaking engagement: visit: http://www.malinchak.com/
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!