“Here are some interesting statistics on headlines. On average, 8 out of 10 people will read headline copy, but only 2 out of 10 will read the rest. This is the secret to the power of your title, and why it so highly determines the effectiveness of the entire piece.”-Copyblogger
Ever wished there was a magical solution that could reach into the minds of those on your email list and encourage them to open actually read your email marketing messages? Well, there is, it’s called effective headlines.
Crafting effective email headlines that spur readers to action can be a daunting task, and the likes and tastes of audiences will vary as well. If you are feeling like your email message is getting lost in the clutter, it’s time to do some experimenting with these proven formulas to see what will help increase your open rate.
- Use Numbers: The reason we see so many headlines these days with numbers in them (5 Ways to___) is because they work. The theory is that specific numbers in headlines help readers “know what to expect;” and the reality is that we live in a number driven world. There are very few people with a problem that wouldn’t be excited to get the solution to that problem with “6 Simple Ways to___.” Another headline number trick is to use odd or unusual numbers like 5.5 or 17 to help your headlines to be even more memorable.
- Use a Question: Headlines that start with “Are You Feeling__?” or “Who Wants to___?” are another great way pique curiosity and get people clicking and reading.
- Getting The Inside Scoop: If a headline includes “The Secret to___” or “Little Known Ways to___” there’s an increased chance it will excite readers enough to want to know more. We all like getting the scoop on secrets and little known information, right?
- Identify a Problem – Then Offer the Solution: Identifying a problem that is accompanied by statistics is another effective way to catch the attention of your intended reader. An example of this sort of headline would be, “The problem with today’s business person is (statistic+ problem) … and I have Three Solutions.”
- Promise Speedy Results: Is your inbox full? I know mine is. By offering a “quick fix” in your headline like “Quick Ways to Get Facebook Likes” it can leave readers feeling relieved and excited that, in not a lot of time, they could have the answer to a nagging problem.
Remember, a great headline will turn a “browser” of your information into a reader. Keep testing and trying new headlines with your email marketing strategy to learn what it is that “trips their trigger” to not only get higher open rates, but results!
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!