I’m circling back around to some of the presentations at Social Media Week Lima 2018. It was such great info, I can’t help but share. Mike Allton, of TheSocialMediaHat.com, and author for Social Media Examiner, spoke about The Blogger’s Mindset: How to Create 10x content 10x faster. Well obviously that got my attention! He talked about the importance of focus … narrow your niche, and don’t waste time! Poll your readers and clients to find out what they want to know about. What are their pains and fears?
Do you know who your blog is for?
First and foremost, you need to find out who your blog is for. Develop personas of your ideal client, reader, or audience. Know their demographic and geographic details, their fears, issues, concerns, needs and goals.
Use Analytics to confirm who’s actually visiting your site and reading your content. Use Google Analytics and your social network insights and see what it looks like. Test topics on social media – if you have an idea … broach the topic and talk about it on social media to see the reactions. You need specific, strategic, and actionable information.
What is your mindset as a blogger?
Where do those ideas come from? Keep track of ideas and topics in systems like Evernote, Google Keep, OneNote, etc.
- what are the top 10 things clients ask you?
- what are the top 10 things they SHOULD be asking you?
- blog comments
- social media discussions
- conversation & media
Do some research … save articles from influencers and social posts.
What about Newsjacking? Always consider the relevance to your audience and the timing. Here are 5 important questions to ask yourself before Newsjacking …
- Is my audience interested?
- Am I interested?
- Can I add value?
- Can I layer meaning on top of what happened?
- Do I have time / is NOW a good time?
Make your content spark!
- Use featured images w/OG:image tag
- Sprinkle images within content … every 150-175 words gets more attention
- Include GIFS, charts & graphs, infographics, screenshots, and even bannerd
- Use quotes & quote graphics
- Embed social posts, and video
- Make use of great headlines, whitespace, bullet lists
Make your content shareable
- Use sharing buttons (Social Warfare is awesome!)
- Pinnable images
- Click to tweet
- Deep linking / forwardlinking (link to existing content within new posts, update old posts to link to new ones)
- Keyword research and usage (SEMrush, Google Keyword Planner, Buzzsumo Content Research)
One of the final things I took away from this session for me, is to think about the kind of content I can possibly create for my brand and focus on reaching my target audience with the stuff they find helpful … provide quality quality!!
Lots of great stuff about a huge topic. So how is your blogger’s mindset now?
Also published on Medium.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!