12 Ways to Be a Confident Public Speaker
By Sandra Schrift
- Schedule a Complimentary Coaching CallPrepare, prepare, prepare!
- Practice in front of a full-length mirror or for small groups. Join Toastmasters. www.toastmasters.org
- Be positive. “I am a good speaker/trainer.”
- Expect to be nervous. [deep breathe, exercise by walking, stretch, visualize your success, meditate] Make anxiety your ally. Increase your energy; heighten your awareness.
- Focus on your audience. [It is NOT about you. You are there to help your audience.]
- Simplify. Use your time wisely and keep your presentation clear and simple so that your audience can understand what you are saying.
- Connect with your audience. Look people in the eye, one at a time, as you speak to them. The audience wants you to succeed.
- Act confident. Smile. Hold your chin up. Stick your chest out. When you do this, you will feel confident. Remember, YOU are the authority on the subject and they want to hear what you have to say.
- Use humor wherever possible.
- Offer the right message mix (inform, persuade, entertain, interact)
- Establish credibility by use of facts, statistics, and stories.
- Learn from your mistakes. Making mistakes is part of your learning process. Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert, said, “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”
“Written by Coach Sandra Schrift – a career telecoach to emerging and experienced speakers who want to get to the next level in their profession. Visit her on the web at: http://www.schrift.com to learn more about her Speakers University teleclasses. And, be sure to sign up for her great newsletter – Monday Morning Mindfulness!” Phone: 619-688-9467 or email [email protected].
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up ecommerce solutions, membership sites, web design and maintenance, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our bi-weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!