by Jane Atkinson
We are constantly working to try to make our phone ring. We build websites, demo videos, write articles, run mail campaigns, do free speeches, etc., to get clients to our door.
But when they get there, do we close the sale every time? How about 50% of the time?
Many speakers suffer from the inability to sell themselves. They might not be clear on the value they offer or have a hard time communicating it when put on the spot.
Some speakers have a mental block around ’sales’. They’d much rather have someone else selling for them because they lack confidence. But the bottom line is that if you don’t know how to close the deal, it’s going to be hard to train someone else to do it for you.
You’ve probably heard me talk about using attraction strategies to gain clients, but having some sales skills will serve you well.
Here are a few quick tips that will help sharpen your skills:
- Write down some of the key ideas that you would want to convey while talking to a client and post them on your bulletin board for easy reference.
- Practice role playing with a friend or colleague so that you’ll be less tongue tied when a prospect calls.
- Focus on building relationships rather than ’selling’. By putting your thoughts on the needs of the client, you’ll take them off ’sales’.
- Try to meet face-to-face with clients when possible. It’s still the best way to build a relationship and in today’s high tech world, we might tend to forget.
- Think beyond one speech. How can you help your client reach their long term goals?
- Keep track of your numbers. Knowing how often you lose a sale and why will help you improve.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!