I’ve been noticing something as social media has incorporated itself more and more into our daily lives and businesses. Several things, actually; like the increasing popularity of funny cat videos, the constant “share” updates about this that and the other, and the fact that EVERYONE has their own opinion about everything – and of course, how that opinion is the correct one.
But the specific thing I’m talking about here is that businesses don’t seem to be blogging like they used to in the days before Facebook and Twitter and all of the other social media platforms took over the world.
If you’ve been investing more time in the typical social media marketing than your blogging efforts, you may want to take a step back and regroup. Now, let me be clear that I’m not suggesting you stop marketing on social media. Social media is important! In fact, blogging IS a component of social media. What I am suggesting, however, is to direct some of your social media attention to your blog.
Yes, Virginia … Blogging IS a component of Social Media!
Why? Several reasons.
- Blogging adds fresh content to your website. This is a good thing because Google loves fresh content; and, if people see you’re posting great information regularly to your blog they will keep coming back for more.
- You create a searchable resource. If you’ve ever attempted to scroll through your Twitter feed and Facebook account to find something you wrote a week or a month ago, you may have trouble locating it … never mind something you posted six months ago or two years ago. With a blog, your information is stored in an easily accessible and searchable place where you can categorize and tag and store your valuable content.
- You own the content. If you’re just posting your thoughts and feelings on Facebook, what you might not realize is that Facebook owns that information. Have you considered what may happen if Facebook were to disappear tomorrow? If you’re active on Facebook at all, you might remember the big deal about Social Media Examiner’s Facebook page disappearing for about 10 days or so back in early November. Fortunately it was only a glitch and they were able to get everything back. But boy did they have a good scare! So if you’ve been guilty of using only the one platform to market your content, you might want to rethink that strategy.
- Blogging gives you (and your followers) something to share. Links to your blog posts are excellent things to be sharing on social media. Those links not only promote your content across your own social media outlets, but give your followers a way to spread your message. The great thing is, when someone points someone else to your blog stocked with fantastic content, readers will stay there and learn more about you; and who knows, you may find yourself with new clients.
- Blogging helps website visitors take action. Website visitors love blogs. If you have well-written blog content, your readers will eat it up. If your blog posts end with a great call to action, you can drive traffic to your newsletter sign up, your YouTube channel, your podcast, or wherever else you want them to go.
Remember that a blog post doesn’t always have to be a 500 word article. Technically, according to Yoast SEO (I use their SEO plugin for WordPress), the minimum is 300 words; but it can also be a photo, a video, a podcast, or an inspirational quote. The important thing with blogging is that you post good content, and that you post it consistently.
So, if blogging hasn’t been a part of your marketing strategy, now is the perfect time to start or resume blogging! I’m sure you can come up with some great topics to promote your business – your services and products. Why not write a blog post about a pain or problem your product or service addresses? Not a salesy post; but one that shows you know what you’re talking about and are the expert on the subject. Give it a try … you might just like it!
Have you been guilty of blowing off blogging for the more obvious social media channels? A virtual assistant can help you get back in business! Just let us know if you’d like to chat about how we can get you blogging on a consistent basis in no time!
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Make it easy to share your newsletter on Social Media … - February 22, 2018
- 8 Video Marketing Strategies For A Successful 2018 - February 20, 2018
- Just How Effectively Are You Promoting Your Content? - February 19, 2018