Are you feeling like your blog is invisible on the Internet? Whether you write only occasionally or are committed to regularly adding new content, there are essential elements every blog should contain.
If you’re missing one, or more, of these key components it can begin as a stumble that only grows wider until your blog post falls into the black hole of never being seen or heard of again.
Now’s the time to course-correct and give your blog a much-needed evaluation. It’s time for a blog rescue! You’re in the right spot for a thorough examination of your blog. Soon you’ll be able to claim success as your posts are found over and over in search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
The Blog Rescue Checklist
A well-maintained blog is the place to share relevant written resources, information, and downloads with your target audience. This allows them to get to know your brand better, position you as an authority in your industry, and demonstrate your skills and expertise on the topics being discussed on your blog. Use this checklist and nothing will be overlooked as you create your posts. Plus, you’ll learn the vital role each element plays in helping readers find your blog.
- Title: Gives the reader an indication of what your post is about. If it makes sense, include one of your keywords in the title. According to 2016 HubSpot research, titles with 6-13 words attract the highest and most consistent amount of traffic to your blog. A hint to creating great titles is to use CoSchedule’s Headline Analyzer!
- Sub-Heading Titles: 43% of people admit to skimming blog posts (I’m one of them!). (Source: HubSpot, 2018) The sub-heading’s role is to help readers find sections of your post quickly. BONUS: When you’re setting up your post in the blog editor use a heading tag (H2, H3, H4, etc.). These tags are also indexed by search engines and can show up in search results.
- Eye-Catching Images and Visual Elements: Never publish a blog post without including something visual. This may include an image, a graphic, or a still-photo from a video or audio clip. Blog posts with attractive visuals have demonstrated to out-perform plain text posts with higher open rates, and are more memorable.
- Call to Action: Before you wrap up your post include an invitation for the reader to take action. Examples of calls to action could include clicking a link, leaving a comment to start a conversation, subscribing to your list, downloading more information, joining you on social media, scheduling a consultation, or any number of things. Including a call to action makes reading your blog an interactive experience.
- Include an Author Bio: While your name may appear under each blog post it’s important to also include your author bio with each of your posts. WordPress even has a plug-in for this. Personally, I use the Simple Author Box plugin. An author bio gives readers a bit more information about you, your brand, and your business. It’s also another place to include a call to action, plus a headshot so visitors can see your lovely face. The author bio helps readers get to know you better.
- Linking to Other Related Blog Posts: Have you written about related topics the reader might find helpful? Consider including up to three links to these other blog posts. And yes, WordPress does have a plug-in for this. This action is a beneficial inbound link tactic search engines acknowledge and reward. It demonstrates your website is filed with resources and information.
Kicking Your Blogging Up a Notch
Now that you’ve got a better understanding of the blogging essentials, let’s consider three blogging tactics to kick things up a notch. When you add any of these elements it’s like adding rocket fuel to everything you’re doing.
- Using Lists: As you read earlier, people like to skim; and using either bulleted lists or numbered lists makes the job easier. This practice is referred to as Listicles and these are the most popular blog post formats among business blogs. (Responsive Inbound Marketing, 2019)
- Including Statistics: Facts help decisionmakers. Using statistics in blog posts improves consumer trust. (Forbes, 2018) If you want to make a stronger impact with your readers, and there are statistics to support the topic your topic, include some of this research data.
- Adding Video Content: 20% of people will read the text on a page, but 80% of people will watch a video. (My SMN, 2017) Search engine bots can’t scan and index the content on a video or audio. The bots need text so give your reader (and the search engines) the best of both experiences by writing your blog post and consider adding video.
How does your blog stack up in light of the above? Do you include one or more of the 6 essential elements of a great blog post? If you need help, or just want to know more about how we can help you get more traction on your blog with less effort, let me know. I’m happy to schedule a complimentary 30 minute discovery call to show you how we can help!
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up ecommerce solutions, membership sites, web design and maintenance, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!