by Jane Atkinson
Whether it be from the platform, or in follow up with clients, most of us are lousy at asking for the business.
And, if you were to do a quick calculation, you’d see the cost.
Just imagine if every audience could provide spin off to 3 more engagements …
And if each of those audiences held 3 more engagements … and so on.
And you didn’t ask for the business from the first audience … yikes, that’s alot of business lost!
So here’s my suggestion from the platform – refer to page 133 of The Wealthy Speaker
Kudos to Thom Winninger for this tip 18+ years ago.
Right before you begin your closing story, you stop and say “as you can see I am passionate about
(your topic). If you know of any group or association who could benefit from this material, please come and hand me your business card after the presentation”.
That’s it. Two lines and you go on to deliver your awesome closing story. Why does this work?
1. Because people generally want to help but they usually don’t know how to help. You are guiding
them specifically on what to do.
2. If you have done a good job*, then they probably want an excuse to come and talk to you.
* If you ask every time and still do not get the business, your speech may need work.
Asking for the business is the #1 way to build momentum. I hope this will be the kick in the
butt you need to do it!
PS: In the spirit of asking, I have something to ask you. If you are a new speaker, my next cycle
of group coaching (Club Quick Start) is about to begin on March 17th. Join us? Here are the details
on this terrific program. http://www.speakerlauncher.com/quickstart.html
PPS: If you have been speaking awhile, and are interested in a group dynamic, please e-mail me
now. I am putting together something new called Club Catapult and would like your input on a couple of features.
105 Greyrock Cres.
London, ON N5Y 6L4
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Do You Know What To Do In The Wake Of Facebook’s New Algorithm Changes? - January 16, 2018
- Do You Have Conversations With Your Social Media Followers? - January 15, 2018
- Do You Want Awesome Apps And Products At Rock Bottom Prices? - January 11, 2018