Are you a desperate speaker
when it comes to fees?
By Jane Atkinson
Fees are a state of mind. Either you believe
(inside and out) that you are worth your fee, or
Has this conversation ever happened to you?
Client: I’d like to book you
You: Great! (inside voice, “I wonder if they can
Client: How much?
You: $5,000 (inside voice, “Geez, they’re never
going to pay that much!”)
Client: Can we negotiate?
Duh! Of course they are going to negotiate, your
inside voice is running the show!
Here are some tips about managing your fees.
- Set a fee that you know you are more than
worth. Look at who you are sharing the platform
with, who you compete with, do your homework.
- Draw up a fee schedule, print it, post it and
stick to it. If it’s not on paper, it’s not real.
- When the client asks your fee, say it and then
shut up (not even a peep out of your inside
voice). Don’t assume you know how much they have.
- The idea of negotiating your fee is a habit –
break the habit! Stop it. Don’t allow it to
enter your mind.
- Have very specific criteria for when you do
negotiate (ie: multiple engagements, major book
sales, favorite charity, etc). Note: all clients
will tell you, “it’s good exposure”, you decide.
- Most important, be willing to say ‘no’ if they
don’t meet your criteria. Your level of
willingness to walk away is directly proportionate
to how much you negotiate.
Bottom line, stand tall in your fees and believe
in yourself, and you will see your business and
your bank account grow.
Copyright 2005, Jane Atkinson
Jane has been helping speakers double their business annually for more than a decade. As a former speaker’s agent, she has represented numerous speakers who have vaulted to the top 3% (Platinum Level) of the industry including Vince Poscente, Peter Legge and Joe Calloway (all CSP/CPAE’s**). Jane is a full time business coach and consultant dealing exclusively with professional speakers, celebrities and CEO’s. Her clients are the who’s who and the up-and-comers of the speaking world. For more information regarding Jane and her upcoming book “The Wealthy Speaker: A Proven Formula for Building a Successful Speaking Business” visit her website at www.speakerlauncher.com
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Does Your Website Make It Easy For Prospects To Contact You? - November 16, 2017
- 24 Quick And Easy Ideas For Newsletter Content When You Need Help - November 14, 2017
- How To Give Prospects The Info They Need Before The Call - November 13, 2017