Are bureaus just “not that into you”?
by Jane Atkinson
Sex in the City made the phrase ‘he’s just not that into you’ into a bestselling book that is liberating single women everywhere.
The reason for it’s success?
It allows you not to take it personally when someone rejects you.
The same goes for Speakers Bureaus.
You should not take it personally when they don’t book you or want your marketing materials. It may not be about you at all. Perhaps you have a topic
that they don’t require, perhaps they have too many speakers already and can’t give you their attention.
Here are just a few basics about working with bureaus:
1. A bureau will not launch your career – you need to do that yourself.
2. Always ask before sending your materials to them and write ‘as requested’ on the package.
3. Don’t call them during their prime selling hours (they typically make client calls during the morning and do proposals in the afternoon). Don’t call them on their 800 line. And, keep it brief.
4. Wait until your fee is over $3,500 and you have a demo video that rocks before thinking about bureaus. (You never want your first impression to be a ‘so-so’ video).
5. The best way to get your foot in the door is by client referral or if the client requests you. (You can always make that happen if you choose to
hand over a deal).
Bottom line, go out and get that business yourself and you’ll find that they become more interested when they start losing business to you.
Jane Atkinson, President of Speaker Launcher, is a former agent and business coach specializing in professional speakers. For more information, call 519-951-6934, or go to www.speakerlauncher.com
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up ecommerce solutions, membership sites, web design and maintenance, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our bi-weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!