by James Malinchak
Recently, I was asked what was one thing that changed my speaking income. Without hesitation I responded, ‘When I decided to take a chance and attend a marketing seminar, rather than a speaking seminar!’ I remember that moment like it was yesterday. There were a few things that concerned me.
- The fact that the seminar was about how to market your business and that it wasn’t specifically a speaker-related seminar. I remember other speakers telling me I was crazy for choosing to attend this marketing seminar rather than attend the National Speakers Association’s Annual Convention.
- The fact that I was going to spend more on the registration fee to attend this one marketing seminar than I spent on two, even three speaker-related seminars the previous year. And, I was attending a seminar where I didn’t know anyone else. It was me, all-alone attending a seminar in a strange (and uncomfortable) environment.
Looking back, that was the smartest, most-lucrative decision I’ve ever made and is one decision that made me a very wealthy speaker. When I learned what top marketers knew and then simply applied it to my speaking business, my income literally TRIPLED the next year. And, my income has increased EVERY year since attending that first marketing seminar while the amount of time I actually spend traveling, sitting in airports, and being away from home has decreased over the years to where I now only spend about 10-20% of my time traveling to speaking engagements. The majority of my business is now done in the city where I live.Today, I invest (not spend) a minimum of $20,000-$30,000 each year on attending seminars, going through home study courses and participating in Mastermind Coaching Groups. I even attended a seminar last month that cost $10,000 to attend. If you think investing $20,000-$30,000 a year is a lot, then you must not be making the kind of big money that I want you to be making. And, there’s no reason why you aren’t making this kind of BIG MONEY so that investing $20,000-$30,000 a year in continuing education isn’t even a thought for you.
Here are 3 reasons why you MUST start attending more live MARKETING events immediately:
1) A New Way of Thinking and Acting:
When I was only attending speaker-related seminars, I thought like a speaker. When I began attending marketing-related seminars, I began thinking like a marketer. That is one of the first things I preach to the attendees at my Speaker Boot Camps www.collegespeakingsuccess.com/index_landing.htm and I continue to hammer it home to them all throughout the boot camp. Specifically. I say:
You’re in the business of marketing your speaker services!”
Prior to attending any seminar, I always make my ‘hit-list’ of people who are speaking and who may be attending that I want to ‘get-in’ with! Then I make sure to do two things: (1) Introduce myself in a memorable way; and (2) Instantly create TOMA (Top of Mind Awareness) so they will always remember me.
I’m going to let you in on a little secret that I haven’t shared with many people. There have been numerous seminars I’ve attended, for no other reason, than to personally meet some of the speakers or attendees who I knew would be there! That’s right! I call it my ‘Attend-To-Get-In’ strategy. I’m always willing to invest in the registration fee just to be in the same room with certain people so I can meet and start a relationship with them. That’s what I mean when I say, ‘Think Like a Marketer, Not a Speaker!’
3) Big Money Marketers Show You How to Play Big:
The quote that has had more impact on my life than any other is Jim Rohn’s quote from years ago. Others have tried to claim it as their own, but it was stated by Jim over 20 years ago. Here it is:
become the average of the five people you associate with most!”
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Has The Facebook Apocalypse Actually Begun? - January 18, 2018
- Do You Know What To Do In The Wake Of Facebook’s New Algorithm Changes? - January 16, 2018
- Do You Have Conversations With Your Social Media Followers? - January 15, 2018