Our team works with coaches and speakers all over the world, so I know firsthand how important podcasting is in both of these industries. I’m also acutely aware that a LOT of work goes into producing a quality podcast before, during and after.
You need a great topic, a clear and well-edited recording, strong graphics that surround the marketing and promotion of the episode … and that’s not all.
When you put so much work into a project, you want to see some sort of return. So, I thought it would be beneficial for me to put together a list of marketing tips you might not have considered before.[clickToTweet tweet=”Market your podcast to increase your audience!” quote=”Market your podcast to increase your audience!”]
Here they are, in no particular order:
- Leverage the power of Apple Podcasts. Submit your podcast to Apple Podcasts (formerly referred to as iTunes in the podcasting space). Make sure you have a compelling description, and have chosen the most appropriate category and keywords to describe your show.
- Use Amazon Author Central. Do you have a book on Amazon? If you do, don’t forget to add a link to your podcast in your Amazon Author Central profile.
- Edit: Since the original posting, Google+ has been discontinued!
Google it! Add your podcast link to your Google profile. Google may seem to fall a bit behind with its social media efforts. And no, Google+ isn’t as popular anymore; however, Google is still Google. It’s highly searchable, and your profile will follow you around the Internet. So, go ahead and take advantage of the Internet real estate available to you for promoting your show.
- Link across social media. Use your LinkedIn profile, Twitter bio, and Facebook Page to link back to your podcast. And don’t be afraid to link to former episodes once in awhile. BONUS TIP: If you see something in your news feed that relates to a podcast you’ve published, go ahead and share the link and explain your position on the topic! Just don’t go crazy and start hijacking everyone else’s posts!
- Publish more episodes. Each time you release a new podcast there’s a chance you’ll gain new listeners. More visibility is always a good thing! If you’re doing one episode a month now, try upping it to two and see what happens.
- Play with your podcast titles. Just as it is with any subject line or title, the punchier the title, the more downloads you’ll enjoy.
- The more the merrier. Invite guests to record an interview with you for cross promotion opportunities. For example, if someone you admire publishes a book you like, invite them to record something with you. They’ll be promoting the show, too, to increase their exposure. Win/win.
- Use YouTube. Capture a YouTube video while you record your podcast. Not only do people like watching behind-the-scenes footage, but this will allow you to use the power of video to promote your podcast.
There you go. Eight (now seven!) ways you can promote your podcast. Any tips to add to the list?
Also published on Medium.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!