It’s been a while, so I thought it was high time I wrote another post about how to get more out of your work day… aka: how to be more productive. And since I think we can all agree social media eats more of an online marketer’s productive working time than any other activity, let’s focus on that.
7 Productivity Tips for Online Marketers
The following productivity tips for online marketers will hopefully lead to more billable time, and less time spiraling down the social media rabbit hole!
- Track your analytics. If you aren’t already, you should start becoming as involved as you can in the analytics of your business. Learn how to decipher those numbers. Where does your web traffic come from? How are people engaging with your business? When you understand where most of your business is coming from, you’ll know where it makes the most sense to be sharing your content. When you know which platforms bring you traffic and which ones don’t, you’ll know where you need to be focusing your effort. If nobody is coming to you via Twitter, do you really need to be focusing your time there? If you don’t know your analytics, how do you know where to be spending your time? (Answer: you don’t.)
- Use an editorial calendar. An editorial calendar saves a LOT of time when it comes to online marketing. It takes the “thinking of ideas” part out of the mix. There are a million different ways to set up an editorial calendar. For example, you may decide to assign a theme for each week or month, which will help guide your content creation. From there, break your theme down into related topics that will drive your content for any given day. Beyond that, you could jot down some notes as they come to you, and organize them according to where they fit in your calendar. You can set this up for a month or six weeks, or two months at a time. Whatever makes the most sense for you.
- Schedule your updates. This creates so much more efficiency in your social media marketing … the simple act of scheduling updates. And, this works very well with an editorial calendar! There are a few different tools out there to schedule your social media posts. There are severeal good ones. Hootsuite (both free and paid) or CoSchedule (It might be a little pricier than a couple of the others, but it has some incredible features that can cut your scheduling time down quite a bit). Now that Facebook owns Instagram, you can schedule both Facebook page and Instagram posts using the Creator Studio on your page. These are just a few of the options you have!
- Use a dedicated browser for social media. Try using a dedicated browser for your social media activities, and then use another one for everything else. You’ll be amazed at how much more productive you’ll be by implementing this simple tip.
- Set a timer. Determine how much time you want to spend each time you check your social media accounts. Using a timer helps prevent you from barreling down that social media black hole, wondering what happened to the last hour of your life. #catvideos
- Recycle your old content. If you’ve been creating great content for years, there’s no need to let it go to waste. Recycle it! The simple act of creating evergreen content gives you great content to recycle in the future!
- Track what you’re doing. Take some time every couple of months to re-evaluate your social media activities. Review your analytics so you can see what’s working and what isn’t. From there, you’ll be able to change things up or keep a sustained effort going, so you can see your traffic and following continue to grow.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t add one more to this list of productivity tips. That is, of course, to suggest you find a team of online marketing experts to take care of everything for you … hint, hint 😉
How about you? Do you have any productivity tips that help you stay on track and increase productivity?
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!