I keep hearing it, and I know you keep hearing it too. “The money is in the list!” Yep. That’s right. The list!
You want your ideal client to fork over their name and email address so you can stay in contact with them, send value-added information that speaks to their needs and pains (never spam), tell them about your latest and greatest service or product and share information you believe will provide value and benefit.
However, sometimes list building is easier said than done. Coming up with a great freebie that will entice them to allow you into the private sanctum of their inbox is one thing. Getting their attention and making sure they know about your free report or complimentary webinar or whatever else it is you use as your pink spoon, is another story altogether.
Here are 7 easy list building techniques:
- Add a landing page to your site with an opt-in box and a compelling reason for people to subscribe. With a landing page, you can then use the page URL to drive people to the page from your social media channels, in email, in your email signature … wherever. If you add the page to your navigation, that makes one more way for visitors to find your free “whatever,” and be added to your list. In the case of places to find your opt-in, more IS better.
- Put an opt-in box on the sidebar – above the fold, in a prominent place so it’s always there, on every page. You can do this easily using a widget included with most themes.
- Use a Plugin to add an inline opt-in box to your blog posts – like I’ve done at the bottom of this post! There are a variety of plugins that will do this. Personally, I use Opt-in Cat. I like its ease of use, the various options it provides, and that it integrates so easily with MailChimp.
- Add an exit popup (again using a plugin like Opt-in Cat) that appears when someone tries to leave your site. It’s not super intrusive, but can detect when someone attempts to leave the site so it presents one more opportunity to view your opt-in offer. Add an exit popup that appears when someone tries to leave your site.Click To Tweet
- Tweet and share snippets of your freebie with a link to your landing page on social media. Create graphic images with little snippets taken from your free report or content, and then tweet and share across your social media channels, with a link leading back to the free report or content.
- Promote your freebie with a link to your landing page on your social media headers. Again … another opportunity to send people to your landing page.
- Add bonus content upgrades to popular posts to further segment your list. Take advantage of your most popular blog posts. Review and edit as necessary to make sure they are relevant and evergreen, then create a special freebie relevant to the post – with a new list, and promote to an even tighter group of readers. Then send similar content to the segmented list from time to time. Check out one of my most popular posts to see what I’ve done!
List building doesn’t have to be difficult. There are many other ways to grow your list, but the 7 I’ve listed above are fairly quick and simple ways to get started now.
What are some of your top list building techniques? Hit reply and let me know if you’ve tried something that works especially well for you!
Also published on Medium.
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- How To Spread The Wealth Of Your Content! - December 11, 2017
- What The Heck Happened To My Facebook Group Cover? - December 7, 2017
- 10 Self-Care Tips To Help You Enjoy And Get More Out Of The Holidays - December 5, 2017