1. Keep your content fresh and clean: Think of it like when you give a room in your home a fresh coat of paint or rearrange the furniture. The fresh new look is uplifting and exciting; and the same applies to your website/blog. You don’t want to make changes so frequently that it causes your readers to be confused or so extensively that you lose that air of “familiarity” a regular reader expects when they visit your site. You do, however, want to keep your content fresh and clean so they keep coming back.
2. Add a search box that is easy to find: Sometimes the quickest way to find relevant topics on a website or a blog you follow is by using the search box feature. Unfortunately, too many business professionals either don’t include a search box in their blog design, or make it too difficult to locate! If a reader can’t find what they need, or can’t locate a means to search for it, they simply give up and leave which results in another missed opportunity that could have easily been avoided.
3. Highlight your accomplishments: Tooting your own horn is never easy, but if you don’t who will! If you have accomplishments or belong to any organizations that might showcase your experience or expertise related to what you do … by all means, mention it. Did you receive any awards or gain any stellar testimonials recently? All of this lends to your professional credibility and should be displayed on your “About” page or on your “Media” page if you have one. Your readers and potential clients want to know who they are dealing with behind the scenes, so peel back the layers and let them know who you are, what you’ve achieved, and what makes you tick.
4. Make sure your website is mobile ready: Most business owners are using WordPress not only for their blogs anymore, but for their websites as well. And, today’s mobile business owners are using their smart phones and tablets to view websites and blogs. Most of the newer WP themes are mobile ready, but some are not. While this may not be as easy to update as some of the other things I mention in this post, it is quite important, and needs to be corrected if it’s not.
5. Clean up Your Sidebars: I have to admit, it makes me a little nutty when I visit someone’s site or blog and see outdated buttons, ads, or icons on the sidebar. It may be a simple oversight by a very busy business person, but to the average reader it looks sloppy and unattended. Make it a habit time to scan your sidebars and make sure that you have removed anything that is out of date, is no longer relevant, or that you no longer support. Replacing images and cleaning up your sidebar avoids the stale and stagnant look of neglect, and shows your readers you are on top of things. And remember, less is more when it comes to sidebar images.
6. Add a Contact Form: You can have the coolest, most amazing website and/or blog for your business in the world, but it doesn’t mean much if readers or potential clients have to struggle to find a way to contact you. Potential clients, readers, brands, advertisers, and PR people need to be able to contact you if they are interested in working with you. You can achieve this with WordPress plugins like Contact Form 7. Above all, make sure you have an easy way for people to contact you, including your full name, your mailing address, phone number and a valid email.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!