Some people might say I spend far too much time on social media. The truth is, I spend many hours of my work week on social media because my line of work as an online marketing specialist requires it.
I love what I do, but must admit I find myself feeling irritated more and more these days when I spend time online. This is most likely because I don’t like to get into anything political, and avoiding politics is almost impossible right now. So, as I’m out there dodging debates and trying to remain neutral while bringing value to my community, I try to find new ways to help my clients more successfully promote their businesses online.Are you making costly mistakes on social media?
Today, I’m going to share five of the most common mistakes I see coaches and speakers making with their social media accounts.
- Lack of a social media strategy. When you spend any amount of time following a business or brand on social media, you can usually tell if they have a strategy in place. This is generally made evident by an inconsistent posting frequency. If you do nothing with your social media strategy other than plan to update your accounts on a regular basis, at least that’s something! Remember, there are scheduling tools out there that will post your updates for you. Just be sure not to make any of the other social mistakes I’m about to share with you when you’re using one of those tools.
- Spreading yourself too thin. Are you on Pinterest, Facebook, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Google Plus, YouTube, and Tumblr? And if so, are you trying to manage all that social media on your own? How in the world are you going to stay on top of all those platforms? In my experience, it’s best to choose a couple of social media platforms that resonate the best with your audience and really make your presence known on those sites. That’s going to be a better bang for your buck than trying to be everywhere for everyone.
- Not diversifying content. Mix it up a bit. If you’re posting the same thing over and over again across all your social media platforms, why should I bother following you on all of them? The truth is, I likely won’t.
- Failure to engage followers. One of the biggest mistakes I see being made on social media is when business owners post and post and post, without taking time to really contribute to the greater community by answering questions, commenting, or replying to others. Social media is a two-way street, and the more you put into it, the more you’ll get out of it.
- Too much self-promotion. This one goes hand in hand with my last point. Yes, social media is a great place for you to spread your business message; but no, you shouldn’t only talk about your services non-stop, all day long. Try to change it up and share other pieces of information your audience will be interested in.
Take a step back and see if you’re making any of these common social media mistakes. And remember, if you’re feeling overwhelmed with social media tasks in any way, shape or form, a team of online marketing specialists could be the answer to your marketing prayers!
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up ecommerce solutions, membership sites, web design and maintenance, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our bi-weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!