As a professional speaker, you’re asking people to pay you a handsome fee in exchange for your ability to hold the attention of a room full of people for a given length of time. You need to have a presence strong enough to make those people forget about everything else while you’re on stage, so they’re not fidgeting in their seats, or constantly checking their phones during your presentation.
There’s a tremendous amount of pressure on the person tasked with choosing who to hire to deliver a speech or keynote address for a group or organization. That person will either be hailed as a hero if the speaker is great, or they’ll get the blame if a speaker is … well, not so great.
For this reason, your marketing really must make you shine and show the person looking to book a speaker that you are the clear choice for their event.
The following are five considerations you, as a speaker, should keep in mind when developing a marketing strategy to promote your services:
- Video, video, video. If there is a single group of professionals who should be leveraging video to promote their services, it would be speakers. If possible, you should not only have a professional video reel, but should include as much video as you can in your marketing. Use video in your Facebook and Instagram stories, broadcast live from Facebook and Instagram. Post video clips on Twitter and LinkedIn. Show people how you perform so they can clearly see you have the personality and energy they’re looking for.
- Be social. I just mentioned using video in your social media strategy, which is important; but you should also become a social butterfly. Follow people on Twitter and reply to questions. Share articles, comment, and engage with your audience on Facebook. Increase your visibility by adding value to the communities to which you belong, by freely lending your expertise. Do this by showing readers what makes you different from your competition. Which brings me to number three…
- Hone in on your UVP. What is your Unique Value Proposition? Of the bazillion speakers out there, what makes you different? What benefits do you offer? What problems do you solve? What do you bring to a group that nobody else does? Why are you the best choice? This information should be clearly articulated on your website and across all your social media accounts. If you don’t know what your UVP is, this would be a good time to put some thought into it.
- Blog regularly. You should have a regularly updated blog, not only to help rank higher in a Google search, but because those blog posts, filled with your perspective on topics relevant to your area of expertise, are going to show your readers you know your stuff, and have what it takes to bring the value and benefit your audience needs – so much so, it seems like a no-brainer to book you. And remember tip number one … use lots of video in your blog posts.
- Host your own podcast. Another great way for you to get your voice out to the world is with a podcast. Your very own radio talk show! You are only limited by your own imagination regarding the types of things you might talk about; but, always keeping in mind number three! Your UVP. Your podcasts should help meeting planners and organizations know why you’re the best speaker for their event.
If you’re already doing all the above, then kudos to you! If not, then I’ve given you some great things to think about. I’d love it if you’d leave a comment and let me know which of the above you are part of your current marketing strategy, and if you have plans to implement any of the others.[optin-cat id=”8434″]
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!