I’m going to assume that as a professional speaker or coach. I don’t have to ask if you’re on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is only continuing to grow and gain in popularity as we all become more and more connected to our social networks. Personally, I’m noticing LinkedIn is quickly becoming the most enjoyable of any of the other social networks to spend time on because it hasn’t hit that same level of drama the others have! On LinkedIn we’re still dressed for work, so to speak.
Five tips to start enhancing your LinkedIn Profile
If you’re sitting there thinking: “Terry, I’ve been on LinkedIn for years but I’ve never seen any results” I have to ask… how much effort are you putting into it? Just because you appear on LinkedIn and accept the odd invitation, that doesn’t mean you’re working this powerful network to its full potential. That’s kind of like joining a gym and expecting to get in shape without actually going and exercising.
Let’s get your LinkedIn account working for you.
Today I’m sharing five tips you can implement right now, to get more out of your LinkedIn experience.
- Update your information. First thing’s first. If you have to blow the dust off your LinkedIn profile, before you do anything else, then give it a refresh. You may have some new skills or experiences you can add, so pop those in. Is your description completely out of date? Rewrite it, or hire a copywriter for the job. Remember, too, that LinkedIn is updating its features all the time, so there may be some new things you can take advantage of that weren’t available before. When was the last time you updated your LinkedIn profile?
- Add a branded banner. If you’re still using the standard banner LinkedIn provides, then you definitely need an update. Replace the banner LinkedIn provides with something branded for your business. People are going to take a quick look at your LinkedIn profile and determine whether or not they wish to follow you or connect with you, so make it a simple decision for them by creating a professional looking banner. You can even highlight some of your offerings or a call to action in your banner!
- Make it more appealing for people to follow you. How often do you hesitate before hitting the “Connect” button on someone’s LinkedIn profile? I know I do. Especially if that someone isn’t someone I actually know. If you are really picky about who can connect with you, you can set your default contact option to “Follow” instead of “Connect,” people will be able to see all of your updates without being a connection. Then, once they’re following you, you can send an invitation if you’d like to deepen that professional relationship. To change that setting, go into your LinkedIn Account Settings and head to the Privacy Tab. From there, you’ll find Blocking and Hiding. Click Followers and that’s where you can change your default connection method to “Follow.” Personally … it’s not my choice to limit who can send me an invitation, but for some it is, so it’s an option I’ll share.
- Use hashtags. What’s that? You didn’t know you could now use hashtags on LinkedIn? Not only can you search hashtags to read content you’re interested in, but, by including hashtags (use them sparingly… only 5 or 6 per post) in your updates and articles you may start appearing in more searches. Try to keep your hashtags relevant to your industry and within context of your article or post. Who knows what a strategically place hashtag can do for your profile when placed in your summary!
- Join groups. By joining groups in LinkedIn, and being active in those groups, you have yet another way to grow your network and increase your engagement. If you want to take this a step further try starting your own group! This is a great tip for coaches or speakers.
That’s enough LinkedIn tips for now, but I could easily write another article on this topic. What do you think? Would that be of value to you? Please let me know what you think of these tips and if you have any to add to the discussion.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up ecommerce solutions, membership sites, web design and maintenance, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our bi-weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!