Marketing your business doesn’t have to be overly complicated, nor does it have to be expensive. Some of the most effective marketing tactics cost you nothing more than a little time and effort.
The following five marketing tactics are mostly free, can help you increase your visibility both locally and online, help you to showcase your expertise, and heck! You might even have some fun while you’re at it.
- Send weekly email newsletters. No matter what type of business you have, email marketing can be of benefit. A newsletter requires some creativity on your part, and quite possibly, the help of a copywriter, but there is power in the good, old-fashioned email blast. Put some effort into building your list so when you do send out your weekly email, it has the biggest reach possible. If you don’t currently have a free offer on your website to help collect email addresses, consider adding one.
- Sponsor an event. No matter where you live in the world, I’m willing to bet there’s a local event you can sponsor in exchange for some visibility. If you can’t find one that aligns with your company and values, you should be able to find a virtual summit or something interesting that can help you get some exposure. I, personally, will often look at sponsorship opportunities for any trade-shows and events I’d like to attend. It’s a great way, to gain visibility, but organizations make it a point to remember their sponsors and promote them whenever and wherever possible.
- Volunteer. If you can make the time to lend your time and talents to an organization, not only will you feel great, but you never know who you’ll meet or what opportunities might arise when you’re out there giving back.
- Host a Twitter chat. If you’re knowledgeable about topics that could appeal to a segment of the Twitter population, consider hosting your own Twitter chat. A Twitter chat is an excellent way to network, share your expertise, and promote your business. If you’re curious about how this works, search for Twitter chats that are already under way. In its simplest form, a Twitter chat is a public conversation on Twitter that centers around one unique hashtag.
- Post a Reddit AMA. Reddit has been around for a million years (give or take) and is one of the most popular websites on the Internet. According to Alexa.com, it’s ranked #5 in the US for all websites. Number Five! I find this interesting because I’m not sure if I actually know anybody who uses Reddit. But, it’s obviously a major platform to be hitting. You’ll have to do a bit of digging to get to really understand all the inner workings of Reddit (this site is massive), but from a marketing standpoint, I suggest you go straight to the phenomenon that is the Redding AMA (Ask Me Anything). You can find an Ask Me Anything on any topic under the sun. If you’ve written a book (example: I’m the author of a best-selling book on email marketing. Ask me anything!) or have endured something traumatic in your life (I was mauled by a lion in the African plains. Ask me anything!), or simply have something cool to contribute to the world (I juggle swords! Ask me anything!), give it a try! There are millions of active users on Reddit, and some of the AMA topics get thousands of comments.
Do any of these 5 inexpensive or free marketing tactics resonate with you? Are any of them currently a marketing tactic you have used before or are now? Or do you think you’ll try incorporating any of them into your business? If so, which one?
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!