I feel like I’ve written this article a dozen times before, but engagement continues to be a struggle for my clients, and I want to help your business thrive, so here we go again!
Let’s start by talking about why engagement is so important when it comes to social media.
Each social media platform is, in essence, its own community. Users are members of those communities, and what’s being said by those community members contributes to a giant conversation.
If you’re a member of one of these communities, but are only making updates rather than responding to others, you’re having a one-sided conversation. You probably wouldn’t stand in a corner talking at people during a business event, so you should be a bit more mannerly on social media. You should be sharing content, commenting on posts, and conversing with (not to) your followers.
More engagement on Social Media will get you more followers and help you build better relationships with them.
I know, I know. There’s only so much time in the day! How can we be expected to spend any more time on social media?
The thing is, if you’re not engaging with your audience, there’s really not much point in being on social media at all. Social media works best when it’s two-sided interaction!Social media works best when it’s two-sided interaction!Click To Tweet
Engagement can take as much or as little time as you’re willing to put into the process. If you have five minutes a day, great. If you have an hour a day, great. If you have no time in the day *ahem* you should outsource the task.
Regardless of how much time you can dedicate to your social media engagement, you should have a plan in place.
Here are three simple ways you can increase your social media engagement.
- Follow more people. Be sure to follow lots of accounts on Twitter and Instagram if you use those platforms, so you have lots of accounts to interact with. If you manage a Facebook Page, be sure to “Like” many other Pages as your Page. One important note though … don’t just follow anyone for the sake of following. Follow people who are in your target market, are your ideal client, and anyone else you are interested in or who might be interested in what you do.
- Check in with your followers daily. Every day, take some time to quickly scroll through your newsfeeds and see where you can comment, like, or share something interesting. Facebook makes this a bit tricky. On your Facebook Page, you have to select an option that says: “See Pages Feed” so you can see what the Pages you’ve Liked by your own business page are posting. When you like, comment and share, be sure to do so as your business … wherever it makes sense to do so.
- Share/discuss your blog posts. If you’re blogging regularly, you can find new readers by sharing links where appropriate. Now, you have to be careful not to spam people by plastering links all over other people’s feeds, but in Facebook groups when there is a promo day or when it might be appropriate for another reason, or in your own newsfeed when someone asks about a specific topic and asks for suggestions or links, it’s perfectly fine to comment with a link to your blog. If you’re watching a conversation about a topic you have a vested interest in, and you’ve shared your take on the topic in a blog post, you might want to comment with something like: I couldn’t agree more with what you’re saying. I wrote a blog post not long ago where I said XYZ on this very topic. You can read it here if you’re interested LINK. Be careful when posting links in someone else’s newsfeed though… you want to make sure it’s OK with the person who initiated the post, and don’t want to do it all the time or it might be construed as spamming. Do you see how this works better if you’re building relationships with these folks along the way?
So now I’ve given you 3 easy ways to increase engagement. Now all you need to do is decide how much time you can realistically dedicate to social media engagement, and make a plan for you or your marketing team to do so.
Have any other tips you’ve used to engage your followers you’d like to share? Please share them in the comment section below!
Also published on Medium.
Latest posts by Terry Green (see all)
- Do You Know What To Do In The Wake Of Facebook’s New Algorithm Changes? - January 16, 2018
- Do You Have Conversations With Your Social Media Followers? - January 15, 2018
- Do You Want Awesome Apps And Products At Rock Bottom Prices? - January 11, 2018