Most of us who are in business for ourselves fall into the same trap; we’re “too busy” working in our businesses to work on our businesses, doing silly things like marketing our services.
We all know how important it is to market, but it can be very overwhelming to try and fit one more thing into our hectic days.
The following list of 20 marketing updates are things you can work on today; and I’m willing to bet each one of them can lead to you getting more clients. I challenge you to set aside just one hour of your day and choose one of these tasks to focus on.
- Book new headshots. If you haven’t had a headshot taken lately, yours is probably outdated. You should look like the person in the photo! So, if you’ve had a significant change in appearance, or if we have a different US president now than we did the last time you had a headshot taken, it’s probably time for a new one.
- Write a blog post. Or a LinkedIn article, or something to post on Facebook. Create a piece of content and put your message out there in front of people.
- Record a video. Any kind of video you like will work. If you have a YouTube channel, great. If you want to go with an Instastory, fabulous. Facebook Live? Doesn’t matter, just put yourself out there. The more you do, the easier it gets.
- Engage and comment on LinkedIn. Comment on a few posts that are relevant to your industry and contribute your knowledge to the world. This helps you give back to you the community and raises your visibility.
- Read a book. Knowledge is power! Go get a book (or read something on your Kindle) that will enhance your marketing skillset. A great one to start with is This is Marketing, by Seth Godin.
- Review a book. Leave Amazon reviews for some of the books you’ve read that speak to your knowledge in the given space. This positions you as an expert in your industry.
- Update your speaker video. To all the speakers out there, how recent is your most recent clip? This is a great time to update your speaker reel!
- Open an Instagram account. Instagram is a big deal. If you don’t have an account, start one now. If you do, post an update and/or comment on other posts related to your industry. Tip: Open a business account and link it to your Facebook page for even more reach!
- Update your email signature. This is a great spot to include a few subtle marketing messages. Change up your email signature to reflect how you help people. If you’ve had the same signature for a long time, people probably are so used to seeing it that they don’t read it or pay attention to it anymore, so shake things up!
- Go to a networking event. There’s still meaning in attending live events. Bonus points if you go to a networking event with the sole purpose of giving rather than taking.
- Review your marketing plan. Dust off that marketing plan and see if you’re still on track or if an update is warranted.
- Create a webinar or other info product. This one is self-explanatory. Pick a topic in your area of expertise for which you can offer insight and host a webinar or create a lead magnet to share knowledge and information.
- Write a buyer persona. How intimately do you know your ideal client? Take the time to write a complete buyer persona so you know exactly who it is you’re marketing to. Identify their fears, their goals, and what’s stopping them from getting to where they want to be. This will help you craft messages that steer them to you as the answer to their problems.
- Create or update your press kit. It’s a great idea to have a press kit on your website. If you don’t, or if yours is out of date, take some time to work on it.
- Send out a newsletter. Have you been in touch with your list lately? If not, reach out to them now! I bet you have a service to promote, a testimonial to share, or a meaningful story with a strong message to put in front of your audience, so do it!
- Attend a workshop. Workshops are a great place to learn, and they’re also a great place to contribute your knowledge and make new connections. Need ideas to update your marketing? Here are 20 simple ideas to get you started on a good marketing roll.
- Support a cause. We live in a world that is so much about “me me me” that it’s lovely when a company gives back in some way. If you don’t have your own “give back” cause, do some thinking and consider choosing one that means something to you, and support it in some way.
- Share someone else’s content. If you’ve read an article you love (or even disagree with), share it on LinkedIn with your own thoughts and ideas. This puts you out there even though you didn’t create the content yourself.
- Create an editorial calendar. Put down some ideas for the types of content you’d like to share, and how you want to share them (social media, podcasts, blog, etc.), and plot out your plan of attack on a calendar to help you in your marketing.
- Start a LinkedIn or Facebook group. By creating a group on LinkedIn or Facebook, you’ll be seen as a leader (which you are!) and can help facilitate discussions that are meaningful to you and members of your community.
There! These 20 ideas should be enough to get you started on a good marketing roll.
If you can think of any other quick marketing ideas someone can easily implement, I’d love to hear them. Please feel free to comment and share!
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up ecommerce solutions, membership sites, web design and maintenance, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our bi-weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!