Even though the world is obsessed with podcasts and videos and social media, email marketing is still one of the most effective ways to promote your services as a professional speaker or coach.
In a world where there’s so much noise, it’s important to keep your name and your message in front of people. And what better way than in their inbox?
The following are fifteen email marketing dos and don’ts to keep in mind as you grow your list of contacts.
- Do study your analytics to determine the best time and day to send emails to your list. You might find your subscribers are eager to open your messages on a Thursday morning, but anything you send on a Wednesday afternoon gets ignored. Send accordingly.
- Do plan your emails ahead of time. If you want to drive yourself crazy, sit down and try to compose an email message the morning you want to send it. The best email campaign is a well-thought out email campaign.
- Do stick to a schedule. If your subscribers are used to getting an email from you every Wednesday at 1 pm, send that email every Wednesday at 1 pm! Do you know the dos and don'ts for effective email marketing communication?
- Do use storytelling in your emails. Human beings are wired to pay attention to stories, so wherever you can, weave a story into your messages. This will be far more effective than going in with a hard sell every single time.
- Do make unsubscribing easy. Nobody wants people unsubscribing to emails, but it’s a normal part of managing a list. Make sure you include an option to unsubscribe on every message you send.
- Do open a story gap in your subject line. You want to implore your reader to open your email message and the best way to do that is to open a story gap, so they want to keep reading to find out more. A simple example would be: Are you making this common marketing mistake in your coaching practice?
- Do personalize your emails. Everyone likes to feel special, so use your recipient’s name in your message to them. If not in the subject line, then somewhere in the body of the message.
- Do try using emojis in your subject lines. Where it makes sense to do so, try using emojis in your subject lines to make your messages stand out in inboxes.
- Do keep your messages short. I’ve written before about how short human attention spans are today. The more concise your message, the better your chances of having it heard.
- Do make sure your emails are mobile-friendly. Today, most people are going to be reading your message on their phones, so keep that in mind when you’re writing your emails. Use lots of headings and try to avoid using images where someone will have to zoom in to understand the message.
- Do clean your list occasionally. This means going through your subscribers and removing any emails that bounce or are invalid. Big lists are great, but only if they are quality, engaged subscribers. And please … make sure everyone on your list has voluntarily subscribed.
- Don’t be afraid to use humor in your emails. Everyone loves to have a good laugh, so if you can sneak in something that will make your readers smile, go ahead and do it! It will make you stand out.
- Don’t bombard your list with emails. If you’re hitting your list multiple times a week with messages, that’s too much.
- Don’t forget to include a call to action. Remember to tell your readers what you want them to do. Whether you want them to book a call with you, watch your speaker reel, or follow you on Instagram. Be clear about what you want from them and include it as a call to action.
- Don’t use a “noreply” email address to send your messages. In fact, I suggest you encourage your readers to reply to you with any questions, thoughts, or concerns. A noreply email address does the opposite and doesn’t feel very personal.
Hopefully this list gives you a bit of inspiration for your next email marketing campaign.
Do you have any email marketing dos and don’ts to add to the list? Please comment and share!
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!