Expertise… The New Imperative for Speakers
by Sandra Schrift
The National Speakers Association is emphasizing national reasons for their members to develop and enhance their expertise to improve their speaker’s business.
Here is a TOP TEN list by professional speaker, Alan Weiss, CSP. He proposes that expertise is present and strong when an individual emotionally and psychologically:
- Regularly and spontaneously creates projects, speeches and other interventions that utilize various permutations and variations of the expertise.
- Demonstrates outright zeal and joy when engaged in the pursuit, elevation and communication of the expertise.
- Feels elated, rather than drained, after being challenged about the subject matter.
- Equates the expertise with the overused term, “authenticity.” That is, “this subject matter is me.”
- Sparks others and subsequently triggers motivation through sheer enthusiasm.
- Rapidly develops and evolves the expertise; is motivated to create sharp learning curves.
- Is drawn “magnetically” to the subject area; making it hard to disengage or omit it from thought.
- Steadfastly believes and evangelically persuades that it is in the best interests of others to share in the pursuit, skill or topic.
- Feels frustration when the skill can’t be applied or can’t be understood by others.
- “Retreats” to the expertise for solace, reinvigoration, comfort and self-worth.
Written by Coach Sandra Schrift – a career telecoach to emerging and experienced speakers who want to get to the next level in their profession. Visit her on the web at: http://www.schrift.com to learn more about her Speakers University teleclasses. And, be sure to sign up for her great newsletter – Monday Morning Mindfulness!” Phone: 619-688-9467 or email [email protected].
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every other Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!