Today’s hectic lifestyle, along with all the uncertainty and angst in the world, is taking its toll on the health of people all over the nation. Even with all the advances in technology (created to make our lives easier) there are times when it seems as though our lives have gotten more complicated. The result can be debilitating feelings of overwhelm and the sensation that you are just spinning your wheels in business and life. Being in a constant state of overwhelm has mental and physical consequences as well. Listed below are ten warning signs that you might be experiencing professional overwhelm.
- Lack of concentration – It’s difficult enough to concentrate when your attention is pulled in many directions all the time. When you find it hard to concentrate even under optimal circumstances, you may need to step back and see if you are, indeed, doing too much. Learn to prioritize and delegate.
- Irritability – Some people are natural grouches; however, if you find your normally sunny personality taking on a mostly cloudy outlook, it may be time to lighten the load. Oftentimes all you need is to spend time doing something you love or simply spending a little time unplugged. But the bottom line is that maybe it’s time to plan a vacation or take a step back from work.
- Trouble sleeping – Are problems at work keeping you up at night? Try journaling your thoughts before you go to sleep. Things may seem different in the morning. Clarify what’s troubling you, and then seek solutions.
- Panicky feelings – Sometimes our workload can feel like a steamroller about to run us down. Pause, take a breath and put things in perspective. Taking the time to plan your day and prioritize your tasks can help immensely.
- Loss of interest – This can be loss of interest in things you enjoy doing and/or loss of interest in your business. If you are beginning to feel overwhelmed, you may find yourself coping by just not caring anymore.
- Moodiness – If people around you are beginning to ask why you are so moody lately, you’ll know it’s time to take stock of your situation. Moodiness is often an indicator of stress.
- Change in eating habits – Do you find yourself suddenly craving sweets or carbs constantly? Or perhaps you’ve lost your appetite all together. Either of these symptoms can signal an onset of overwhelm.
- Procrastination – If you are generally not a procrastinator or find yourself procrastinating more than usual, you may be taking on too much. It’s not unusual for people to shut down when the load is more than they can carry.
- Physical aches and pains – These can come in the form of headaches or body aches. Even chest pain can signal unhealthy levels of stress. Have your symptoms checked by a doctor to be on the safe side.
- Anxiety – Deadlines, budgets, grievances, all sorts of issues can cause a person to become anxious. Sorting out the issues to get clear on what you really need to tackle can help.
Overwhelm is a fact of life these days for many business professionals, but can be controlled. In some cases it’s as simple as doing a little strategic planning or goal setting, delegating parts of the work load to others or sitting down with the team and hashing out any issues. Sometimes it may take professional help. But being aware and knowing the signs of overwhelm are the first steps on the road to recovery.
If you liked this post, you might be interested in 5 Signs of the Dreaded Super Speaker Syndrome!
If you’re suffering from overwhelm … never fear! Contact us to schedule a complimentary 20 minute consultation to see how we can help you get back on track in your business health.
In business since 1991, Terry Green is the founder/CEO/President of BizEase Support Solutions, an American-based, online marketing support company comprised of a team of talented professionals from around North America. BizEase excels at providing speakers and business coaches worldwide with seamless online marketing solutions, from setting up shopping carts and editing video, to writing blog posts and managing Social Media and PR campaigns. BizEase clients (who span five continents) take great joy in allowing the BizEase team to take care of the details so they can get back to doing what they do best! Click here to get our weekly tips ezine delivered to your inbox every Friday, with tips on plugins, apps, and tools to make you more productive today!
Also published on Medium.